Thursday, September 28, 2006

Titles are for sissies

I know I haven't posted here in a week. I apologize to all the people who eagery look forward to my regular postings each Monday. I let you down and I'm truly sorry.

Actually, I'm not sorry at all. This is just a blog, and if you look forward to this one specifically out of the thousands avaiable, you have serious issues.

Let me start off with something very important: Beer. Tomorrow night I'll be attending the Great American Beer Festival here in Denver for the third year. This truly is an event to behold for any of those out there like myself who enjoy a good beer every now and then. Or everyday. This is, according to the GABF website, the largest selection of American beers ever gathered together in the United States. The best thing about the whole thing for me is that I get in free due to certain "connections" I have in the industry. Admission for this event is normally $50. In addition to getting in free, I get to use the employee/volunteer entrance meaning I don't have to stand in line like all the other poor fuckers who had to pay for their tickets. 1600 beers for me to try free of charge. Another plus that I feel like I need to mention: There are quite a lot of 21 year old partially-inebriated women at the GABF. A lot of these women are quite good looking. Sure, I'm engaged to a near perfect woman, but I don't mind being surrounded by countless bueatiful women from time to time. I can at least appreciate this opportunity. Plus, Samantha won't be there to tell me I can't look at these women since she's allergic to beer. What a shame. What a shame.

Seriously thouh, if you're ever in Denver around the end of September and you really like beer, attending the GABF would be worth your time. Even at $50, it's not a bad deal considering all the beer to be sampled.

Time to move on to something almost as important as beer: Television. Every year, at this time, we're treated to a bunch of new television shows. Some are good, and some blow ass. Jericho is one of the new shows that's actually quite good. However, I must rant about it just a little bit. It's suppossed to take place in Kansas. Keep that in mind. The general story is that the residents of this Kansas town, named Jericho, are cut-off from the rest of the world when a mushroom cloud appears over Denver. The view of the mushroom cloud is quite spectacular from Jericho. The residents look over the plans and see the Rocky Mountains with the mushroom cloud blossoming into the sky from behind the mountains. There are 2 problems with this:
1. Anyone who is even remotely familiar with Kansas and Colorado know that you can't see the Rocky Mountains from anywhere in Kansas. You're just too damn far away. You have to drive an hour into Colorado before the mountains are visable. You would have to be 30 minutes to an hour outside of Denver before the mountains would look as they did from Jericho.
2. The mushroom cloud appeared as though it came from behind the Rocky Mountains. Denver is on the Eastern slope of the Rockies you ignorant fucks. The mushroom cloud should be in front of the mountains from the Kansas perspective.
Now I don't mind a bit of un-realism in television. Sometimes, due to shooting constraints, locations have to be shot elsewhere, etc. But this is just a dumb ass oversight that no one thought to verify or correct. Take the show Jerimiah, which ran for 2 seasons on Showtime. It was another post-apocalyptic type show. It kinda sucked, but I digress. In Jerimiah, the main character, aptly named Jerimiah, had to go to the Denver Public Library. The building filmed wasn't the actual Denver Public Library, in fact, it looked nothing like it. However, the producers of the show took time to at least get certain facts right, like the location. Jerimiah mentioned that the library could be found at 14th and Colfax. That's exactly where it is. If you need a point of reference, while in Denver, Bob's mom can be found on the corner of 9th and Colfax. My point is simple. When filming a show, at least try your best to get as many things right as you can.

So normally I would have reviewed the DVD releases for this week a few days ago, but there really wasn't much released of note. However, because some of you depend on it, I'll lump a few releases into two categories for you.

DVDs probably worth buying provided you don't already own them: Dracula: 75th Anniversary Legacy Edition, Frankenstein: 75th Anniversary Legacy Edition, A Nightmare on Elm Street (Infinifilm), The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (2-Disc Ultimate Edition - 1973), Voltron: Defender of the Universe (Collector's Edition)

DVDs you never want to buy because the films/shows contained on them suck dick: Curious George, The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, The Lake House, Save the Last Dance (Special Collector's Edition), Thunder in Paradise Collection.

Beowulf and Grendel was also released. I'm not sure where to put this one because I haven't seen it. I've been waiting for a good Beowulf movie for quite some time, and according to a number of reviews, this may be a pretty good attempt. One thing is for certain: Stay the hell away from the 1999 version of Beowulf staring Christopher Lambert. It isn't bad for a cheap movie, but's it isn't worthy of the epic poem it's based on.

That's it for now. If you don't like it, shove it up your pooper.

1 comment:

Bob said...

What was wrong with Thunder In Paradise? You got Hogan, and Carol Alt? What the Hell's wrong with you, you mother loving ass grabber?