Monday, October 09, 2006

So I lied

I said a week ago that I'd post a review of the move The Descent on Wednesday or Thursday. Well, I didn't do that now did I? So I lied.

I told Bob's mom I'd always be there for her no matter how many NFL teams she slept with. So I lied.

I'll correct one of these lies and review The Descent for you now. I'll also add a review for Silent Hill. With Halloween coming up, review two "scary" movies seems like a good thing to do. Mind you, these won't be well-written or in-depth reviews.

The Descent:
I've said before that I'm not a big horror movie fan. I should correct that statement. What I should have said is that I'm not a big shitty movie fan. I enjoy a good horror flick, if it's done well. Sadly, a lot of recent horror movies have been absolutely horrible. So, when I got done watching The Descent, I was glad that I didn't waste my time on one of the shitty horror films.

I won't take the time to give you the full plot or character breakdown. I'll just sum it up: A group of women get trapped in a cave system where they're killed and eaten by a group of creatures who've evolved to live in said cave system.

Is it a gory film? Sure. Although it isn't near as gory as i'd thought it would be. All the critics said it's extremely gory, and personally, I didn't thik it was all that bad. I don't like needless gore, but in this film, the gore was in the right places and in the right amounts.

The acting was just fine. Good enough that I believed the women and the plight they were in.

Cheap horror films often resort to cheap scares like the monster popping out of nowhere accompanied by a creshendo in the music. The Descent had a few moments like this, but most of the scares come from the atmosphere and the genuine horror of the situation and the uncertainty of who will make it and who won't.

That's it for the review. See, I told you it wouldn't be much. I was genuinely impressed with it and I reccommend you watch it when you get the chance. Now, I saw the European release, which has a slightly more depressing ending than the American release, but either ending works in my opinion. So see it.

Alright, now on to Silent Hill. This review will be shorter. I can't honestly say you should see this movie. I had high hopes for this film. I loved the video games and I think the director has done some good work previously. I was hoping that I would generaly be freaked out watching this film, as I often was playing the game. That never happened. It's not a horrible film by any means. Some of the visuals are downright cool. But, in the end, this film just wasn't scary. If you advertise a film as a horror film, it should at least be a little scary.

I'm going to move on the the DVD releases for tomorrow. I could talk about happenings in my life, but nothing has happened.
  • The Andy Milonakis Show: The Complete Second Season - I've heard this show is quite funny. I've yet to see any of it.
  • The A-Team: Season Five - The Final Season - This show was so stupid, yet so enjoyable.
  • Bad Santa: Director's Cut - I have it on good authority that this movie is also quite funny. I don't know why I haven't rented it yet.
  • The Butterfly Effect 2 - If you buy this, you'll wish you could go back in time and correct that mistake. Sadly, you wouldn't be able to.
  • Click (Special Edition) - This is one of those movies that I don't care to see, but if I had the chance to watch it, I probably would. It's probably good for a few laughs.
  • The Exorcist: The Complete Anthology - Just in time for Halloween.
  • Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties - Like The Butterfly Effect 2, we have another pointless sequel that should never be.
  • Magnum P.I.: The Complete Fifth Season - I don't think there's a single person on Earth who dislikes this show.
  • A Prairie Home Companion - This film had great reviews, but for some reason it was a limited release film.
  • Simon & Simon: Season One - FINALLY!
  • Waist Deep (Widescreen) - I just don't care.

That's it. I must go now so I can finish watching the Broncos game.

No comments: