Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I have a surprise for you.....

And for once, it isn't in my pants.

Honestly though, this post will be unique in that I'll review an audio CD, which you know I've never done before. I don't usually ever review an audio item because, even though I'm musically literate, I'm not literate enough to say things like: "This is a deep and moving album with vocals reminiscent of the early works of Eric Clapton with guitar work as haunting, elegant, and powerful as Black Sabbath's second full album." Plus, I HATE reviews like that. If I have to take a music history course to understand your review, then you suck.

After I tell you the artist of this CD, you're going to want to stop reading, but I implore you to continue. The album is called Has Been by none other then William Shatner. I know I mentioned him in the last post and I promise it won't be a recurring theme. Has Been is produced by Ben Folds, and maybe that, or William Shatner's spoken word elegance, makes this one of the most shockingly good albums I've heard in years.

Yes, I said good.

Shatner really doesn't sing at all on any of the 11 tracks, nor should he. It's spoken word and any sections sung are done so by Ben Folds, a chorus, or others. This is a good album for many reasons. Firstly, it's well written. Secondly, the songs range in genre including rock, country-western, and blues. Thirdly, and I know thirdly may not be a word, the songs rang in tone. Some are happy and upbeat, while some are pretty damn sad. The title track, Has Been, is actually a campy western-type song that mocks those who have called Shatner a has-been. Every song on this CD is different, yet equally interesting. Even Henry Rollins guests on one of the songs. Henry Freakin' Rollins people! If Rollins and Shatner in the same song isn't both intersting and odd, I don't know what is.

I took a chance buying this, and both Shaner and Folds took a chance making this, but in my opinion, it's a success. I've never been a huge fan of spoken-word albums, but this album definately stands out in a day when bands and artists regurgitate the same old shit and when American Idol reigns supreme. Fuck the idols. Buy this instead of the new quasi-punk album that just came out and you just might like it. It's definately a fine addition to my CD collection.

Then again, after having my CDs stolen, any CD would be a fine addition to my new collection of 3 CDs.

It's not like I'm focusing on that problem though. Not at all.

1 comment:

Andy said...

I stopped reading after I saw the surprise wasn't in youir pants. I mean, what a letdown.