Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Something you should watch again.

I don't want to review new films on this blog, so I'm going to start highlighting a film each week that you should watch again. Yes, you've probably seen the film before, but I'm telling you that you should watch it again.

This week, the film is Dark City. I'm not even going to tell you anything about the plot, because you've already seen it, or you haven't, in which case, it's fun going into this knowing nothing about it.

Dark City

The version I've linked to on Amazon is the Director's Cut which was just released yesterday. So, technically, you haven't seen this version before, but you get the idea. I did buy this DVD yesterday at Wal-Mart, after an infuriating experience with Best Buy. I would rather buy DVDs at Best Buy, but apparently they don't want my business. I watched it last night because I just had to see what was different about the Director's Cut.

It turns out that there isn't a whole lot different about the Director's Cut, which I like. Since I love the original, I would be pained to see the additional footage actually hurt the end product. That happens with some extended cuts of films. In this case, the extra footage wasn't really whole blocks of scenes, but extended cuts of existing scenes. The box says that about 12 minutes of footage was added, but it was added so seamlessly that I couldn't remember, in some cases, whether it was a new bit or not.

Speaking of the director, Alex Proyas, he's the man who directed the first, and only good, Crow film. he also directed I, Robot. Not a spectacular film there, but not horrible either. Proyas is one of these directors that puts a lot of emphasis on making the film visually unique. The Crow had a distinct look and feel to it, and Dark City is no exception. Even though I've watched this film at least 6 times, I'm still stunned by its look. Even before the dialogue starts, you know you're in for a treat.

I should mention the actors as well. Rufus Sewell plays the main character John Murdoch. Rufus Sewell hasn't had a lot of starring roles in his career, which is sad, because he's great here. I can only think of one other film he's been in without looking at IMDB, and that was Bless the Child. Although that film was lackluster, he was an outstanding villian. Just an evil, twisted fuck. Jennifer Connelly plays John's love interest. She's not only an amazing actor, but she's amazingly beautiful as well. The Incredible Hulk was better than Ang Lee's Hulk, but Liv Tyler has nothing on Jennifer Connelly. Jennifer Connelly s a better actor, she's better looking, and the chemistry between her and Eric Bana far surpassed what Tyler and Norton had. I'm still cheesed off about that casting decision.

Kiefer Sutherland is in the film as the doctor trying to push Murdoch towards the truth, while at the same time trying to cover his own ass. Sutherland's role is a creepy one, with how he speaks, and shuffles around like a paranoid hobo. He's also got my favorite line in the movie. William Hurt is in the movie too. Seriously, when is he not good?

If you've seen this film before, then watch it again. If you haven't yet gotten the chance to see it, then see it! Next week I'll pick a different film.

No comments: