Monday, July 28, 2008

I've said it before, but it feels really good not to give a shit.

I have a week left at this current job. I'm not going to slack off, but I have a bit more freedom than I had before. Just this morning, for instance, I'm refreshing a Hasbro Toy Shop page every 20 seconds waiting for them to make some G.I. Joes available that will sell out within 5 minutes. If I miss this chance, there is NO way I'll get these figures at a reasonable price later. My boss walks up to me at the exact moment they become available. This is how the conversation went:

BOSS: "We should meet now and go over a few projects."
ME: "It's going to have to wait a few minutes."
BOSS: "Are you busy with something else?"
ME: "Just placing a very important online order. It'll take a few minutes before I get my confirmation. We can meet then."

It felt so god damn good to be able to brush aside the boss like that. I may not have done that if I was planning on keeping this job.

It turned out to be more like 45 minutes, since Hasbro's site couldn't handle the traffic and turned into a giant clusterfuck of page load errors and "Your order can not be completed, please try again later" messages. I did manage to get my order placed, but a large numbers of others never got the chance. Hasbro KNEW this was going to happen, and yet they couldn't make sure their site was up to the challenge. 40 years ago, humanity sent men to the moon in what was, by today's standards, a garbage can on top of 3,000 tons of high-explosives. Today, we can't figure out how to keep a server operation more than 10 minutes? Give me a fuckin' break.

I was going to go see the new X-Files film this last weekend, but I've heard that it's not worth it. I'm not saying that the series was always top notch, but it at least frequently freaked me out. The movie doesn't even do that well apparently. This means I can put that money towards Tropic Thunder next month, or Star Wars. but personally, I think Star Wars is going to suck. Face it fanboys, George Lucas is a tired old man who ran out of good ideas years ago, and good directing skills long before that. Yeah, Lucas isn't directing The Clone Wars, but you know he had his twisted cock of influence so far up the director's ass that he may as well be directing it.

While we're on the Star Wars topic, you should all be very proud of me for restraining myself. I could have bought the new Millennium Falcon playset a few days ago. I could have spent $150 plus tax doing so. Yet, I didn't. Maybe with my new job I'll have the money, but logic and reasoning prevailed for the time being. Gods it is a beautiful thing though. 2 1/2 feet across, with lights, sounds, automatic opening hatches, and a cockpit that can actually fit 4 figures. Take a look at these 2 pics. The first is a shot of the new Falcon next to the previous Falcon. The 2nd just shows you all the inside space. It just reminds me of the huge playsets we kids used to have, like the Flagg and the Defiant. Plus, I never had a Falcon before.





That's it, I'm out.

No comments: