Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Friendship

I'm getting married in 4 days. I seriously had a hard time deciding who I was going to ask to be in my wedding party. I chose Cody, Brian, and Gerry. I was also considering: John, Shane, Andy, Travis, and Joey. All good friends. All of whom I respect and care for. I chose these three folks out of all the choices because I've known them the longest, because I want them there the most. Because I wanted them to know that they matter.

I asked these folks close to two years ago to be in my wedding. This afternoon, Brian told me that he may not have the money to make it here. I've known Brian for over 10 years. I consider him one of my best friends. I guess the feeling isn't mutual. Sure, he says that I'm one of his best friends, but when it comes down to the wire, actions speak louder than words.

He had two years to save up gas money and food money. That's all he needed. I would have given him a place to sleep. Instead of planning, he waits until the very last minute to sell a car for quick cash. Well, it seems the other guy doesn't want to buy the shitty car. Brian wants $1500 for the car. The guy offered him $1000. Brian turned it down. So instead of taking a small hit, and being able to attend my wedding, he chooses not to sell it and guarantees that he can't make it. Thanks a lot jerk.

Now, I have to ask John to be a groomsman 4 days before the wedding. I have to ask him to buy a suit at the last minute. John doesn't have a lot of money either. He had to do extra handy-man type jobs in order to pay for gas. His wife is expecting another child anyday now. It's not fair to put this upon him, but I have to because Brian decided to screw me.

I would do EVERYTHING in my power to attend if I were in his position. I have been in his position and I did make it, because friendship calls for sacrifices.

People told me that I shouldn't ask Brian. That he's unreliable. But I asked anyway, because I wanted him there. Because I trusted that he's do this for his friend. I stuck up for him and told everyone, "You'll see, he'll make it." I was wrong, and they were all right. That's what I get for trusting in a friend who doesn't bother putting any effort into his relationships. I won't make that mistake again.

No comments: