Monday, December 19, 2005

I could have died this weekend

The new waterbed for our apartment came in on Friday and was set-up. We slept on it Friday night before realizing they didn't set it up with the right supports, so it could have collapsed through the floor into the apartment below. ok, so maybe I wouldn't have died, but it would have hurt like a bastard and our landlord wouldn't be pleased.

Home improvement sucks. Both the actual process and the Tim Allen sitcom, but I'll focus on the process right now. We decided to put up some shelves in this little closet area that we're going to call "The Pantry." Now, putting up shelves should be easy, except for the fact that there aren't any studs behind the drywall in this specific area. Hence, therefore, and fortwith, the shelves would rather slowly pull themselves away from the way instead of graciously sticking to them. I guess it won't be a "pantry" after all, it will instead be the "empty storage room which also contains the water heater."

With the exception of the couch and chair for the living room, all of our ordered furniture has arrived. Part of our order included four stackable bookcases which will house our massive DVD collection. Two of these bookcases came out of the boxes broken, one beyond any hope of repair. We will be exchanging those two for two un-broken ones. Personally, I'd rather return them all and get our money back, but Sam wants to exchange them. As I see it, if %50 of the bookcases came in damaged, then they aren't of the highest quality to begin with, and I'd rather not wake up at 3 A.M. to the sound of 300 DVDs crashing down upon the living room. Fifty percent is pretty shitty odds for furniture in my opinion. It's kind of shitty oddds for anything you buy actually. Would you buy a microwave if the salesperson told you this: "It's a damn fine microwave, but roughly half of them malfunction and shoot out microwave rays beyond the unit effectively cooking your inner organs, household pets, or anything else in a 30 foot radius." What if a doctor said: "This pacemaker will save your life, unless it explodes sending deadly shapnel into the very heart the pacemaker is there to serve, which actually happens about half of the time." If these 2 replacemnt bookcases come damaged, I'll make damn sure someone pays for the problems and time we've invested. Chances are the person who'll pay will be some unfortunate hobo who happens to wander too close to my apartment while I'm in an uncontrollable rage, but he'll pay nonetheless.

It's time once again for my weekly DVD release editorial. Hopefully these help you make good decisions, unlike certain decisions I've made. If you have any guesses as to the worst decisions I've ever made, place them in my comments section and you could win a new car! *
  • Battlestar Galactica: Season 2.0 - I've said it before, and I'll say it agin: This show is freakin' amazing. If you're going to start watching it, rent the min-series and first season and watch it from there. Don't jump into it now otherwise you won't understand certain details.
  • The Brothers Grimm - I'd rent it first. If you like it after that, then buy it. I enjoyed it, but not enough to justify the purchase.
  • Cry_Wolf (Unrated Widescreen) - Just what we needed: Another dumb-ass horror movie where a masked killer stalks college coeds and proceeds to perform aforementioned killing. Anyone who buys this should be punched in the face.
  • Serenity (Widescreen) - Another show worth watching from the series' beginning. This and Battlestar is all I'll be buying tomorrow, unless there's a sale on Brazillian prostitutes.

* Car Contest Rules and Restrictions: 1. Car cannot be won by anyone living outside the continental United States. 2. If living in the continental United States, a handling fee of $47,835,028 U.S. Dollars must be paid when accepting the prize. 3. Contest will not begin until 450,000 entries are submitted.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Posh! In our listing of marvel movies coming out in 2007, you forgot Hulk 2! That's all right, you're forgiven. And I also need a new car. Mine is very tired of going to the repair shop.