Thursday, November 17, 2005

My humble opinion on the Dark Tower series....

I finished the Dark Tower series by Stephen King yesterday. That's quite a feat really since it took the man over 30 years to write the god damn series. Fortunately, it doesn't take quite that long to read, long enough however to make one feel as though Mr. King owes me something. When I turned the last page of the last book and read the ending Mr. King gave me, I feel let-down, and quite frankly, a bit pissed off. Now, I'm not one of those people who believes a writer should finish a series in a way to simply appease the fans and make them happy. Oh no, if you're the author, it's your right to finish it however the hell you want, and I respect that. On the flip side, after more than 4,000 pages of reading for me, and the same amount and 30+ years for Stephen King, I just expected a little more thought put into the ending then what we actually got. In the Epilogue, Mr. King states that he ended it the way he did because that's just how it happened, and that he couldn't have written it any other way because this is what felt "right." I don't doubt that's true, but, in my opinion, a fucked-up ending is still a fucked-up ending no matter what the reasons are behind it. Overall it's a great series, and the ending in no way brings the series down as a whole. I recommend this series to anyone. Sure, the first book, The Gunslinger, is a bit hard to follow but, considering it was one of King's very first works when he was a very young man, that can be overlooked as the series continues to improve through each volume.

But the ending? Jesus H. Christ King, what were you thinking? A resolution isn't always necessary, but like I said, after over 4,000 pages, a resolution would sure be flippin' nice. Thank you Mr. King for this wonderful epic. Thank you Mr. King for the enjoyment I had reading it. Lastly, thank you Mr. King for respecting your principles and ending it your own way, but couldn't you have at least thrown us a fuckin' bone for our troubles?

No comments: