Monday, November 21, 2005

Goble of Fire....or Goblet of Filth? and other trivial bits

Saturday night was the specified viewing time for the new Harry Potter movie. Note: the viewing time was specified by Samantha, who tends to specify quite a lot. Reading the title of this post, you may be under the impression that I didn't like the movie, and if so, you're wrong. I just did that as an attention grabber to pull the blog reader into this posting. It's a little tool we use in the journalism industry.

The Goblet of Fire was quite good overall. Now I haven't read any of the books, so I don't have a basis for judging them off of the original work. I hear a lot was left out, but that's only natural considering Goblet of Fire was the largest Potter book to date. The movie itself is around 2 1/2 hours, but that time went incredibly fast, almost too fast. Due to the filmmakers trying to cram as much as they could into those 150 minutes, the movie seems a bit rushed. Goblet of Fire is definately darker than the previous 3 films have been, which I quite enjoy. From someone who has never read the books, I'd have to say that I like Prisoner of Azkaban a bit better than Goblet of Fire, even though I've heard Azkaban is the least closest to its book counterpart. Goblet of Fire is a worthly addition to the film series and I await the next film, not as much as I await X-Men 3, but await nonetheless.

Now for the trivial bits.

I saw the teaser trailer for Superman Returns. Honestly, it isn't much of a trailer or teaser. With Brian Singer at the helm and Kevin Spacey as Luthor, I'm sure the film will be fine, but the teaser shows us little except, most noteable, a shot of Superman in costume hovering above the Earth. Well that's just awesome, I didn't know he could do that. Did you know Superman could fly? Shit. Thanks for the effort Warner Bros. You could have just done the teaser this way and saved some time:
  • Black screen - Fade into the Superman "S' shield logo. Superman theme playing quietly in the background.
  • The Superman shield slowly morphs into Brian Singer giving us the finger.
  • The standard movie trailer voice guy says, "Fuck you Fanboys. You'll see the trailer when we're damn good and ready, until then, Here's Krypto!"
  • The screen cuts to a live action dog with a cape flying through the clouds.
  • Cut to black. "Summer 2006" flashes onscreen. Fade out.

Saw the 1st trialer for Lady in the Water, the next film by M. Night Shayamalamlong, or however the hell you spell his name. I can't say it looks all that exciting.

Tomorrow, new DVDs for the week are released. Let's run down some of the choices, shall we?

  • Alien Vs. Predator Unrated Edition - Oh joy. I can't tell you how many people I know have been looking forward to this edition, but I'll try anyway. Let's see, there's me and then there's......well, no one else. In fact, I think I have to take my name off the list.
  • Eight Millimeter 2 - I didn't even see the 1st 8mm with Nic Cage that came out 6 freakin' years ago. I'm not going to bust my ass trying to find a copy of this either.
  • King Kong (1976) - The worst King Kong movie since King Kong Vs. Godzilla. That still pisses me off. King Kong could NEVER beat Godzilla, this I know.
  • The Polar Express - Never saw it, don't care to, but for those who liked it, you only had to wait a year after its theatrical release to own it. What a crock of marketing shit.
  • War of the Worlds (2005) - The worst War of the Worlds movie since War of the Worlds Vs. Godzilla. To be serious for a moment, this movie really was quite bad. Special effects, freakin awesome; however, that is the only part of the movie I was impressed by. The rest of the movie was mediocre at best. If aliens are listening to our media in order to decide whether or not to attack us, we're all fucking screwed if they see this movie. They'll be like, "What the fuck is this shit? Are they just asking us to kill them?"*

*Translated from Hejsrwlneese.

No comments: