Tuesday, May 30, 2006

So my job is boring.

At least it pays more than yours.

So I said in the last post that if I had time, I'd quickly review a made-for-tv movie I saw last week. Well here goes.

Last Wednesday, ABC premiered their film version of Stephen King's book Desperation. Normally, ABC is prone to create mini-series' out of King's work, mainly because most of King's books are frickin' huge. Desperation was only a one-shot however, which was fine by me because I think a mini-series would have been way too drawn out.

Most of these ABC King films are pretty weak production-wise. Sure, they do what they can, but one can always tell that it's just a made-for-tv movie with a tiny budget. Sometimes the special effects blow, as with the Langoliers, but more often than not, the acting sucks too, also as evidenced by the Langoliers. Desperation didn't really showcase any special effects so that was fine. As for the acting, it wasn't too terribly bad with Tom Skerritt and Ron Perlman as the main actors. Ron Perlman being especially good as the psycho sherriff. The woman who played the distraught mother of the boy was pretty damn bad though. And the boy? Oh what a craptastic child actor. ABC NEVER casts good child actors for the King films. Once again, refer to the Langoliers and that girl they picked to play the blind girl.

The boy's character also pissed me the hell off. Basically, God is showing his "will" through the boy in response to the evil entity which has taken over the town of Desperation. I'm sure this worked well in the book, but I got sick and tired of hearing this little bastard say "It's God's Will" every 5 goddamn minutes. I was hoping that It would be "God's Will" for the kid to fall down one of the town's mine shafts and die. Too bad that never happened.

Honestly though, this movie ends up being semi-enjoyable due to Ron Perlman and King's original writings. Perlman's character name is Collie Entragian and honestly, isn't that just a cool ass name? King has always been good at characterization and it shines with this character. Also, being one of the many who has read the epic which is the Dark Tower series, I picked up a few references to that which I'm glad they kept in the movie. King is notorius for somehow tying his Dark Tower series in almost every book he's written.

Although this film was somewhat interesting, I don't think I'd watch it again. If you have a few hours to kill, then by all means watch it, but don't be surprised when the child actor drives you insane with his constant God-speak.

All right, I'm done.

Go then, there are other worlds than these.

2 comments:

themoy said...

"So my job is boring..."

Kiddo, when you find yourself at forty looking back at years of spending several hours a day doing something you consider boring and not especially worthwhile, the fact that you made more money may not be all that comforting.

Just a word of warning from someone who knows and who got out while she could.

The Mysterious Mr. Crow said...

Well to be fair to my job, it's only boring right now because my boss is on vacation so I feel no need to do any actual work.

I'm sure glad that my boss doesn't read my blog.