Tuesday, December 05, 2006

When you don't have to care

Having a second job that you don't really really need has its benefits. The main one being: I don't have to give a shit. It feels good to not have to worry about impressing the bosses or saying the right things to keep the job. If I get fired tomorrow, it doesn't matter. It really is a liberating feeling. I called in sick 2 days in a row. I really was sick the first day. I didn't feel like going in the second day.

This freedom I have is going to come in handy tomorrow when I talk to the store manager. This week's schedule came out on Saturday. The week starts on Sunday so it's not like they give us much time to plan our week anyway. On that schedule, I was to start work tonight at 5. On that schedule, I had tomorrow night (Wednewsday) off. On that schedule, I had this next Saturday off. I came in today after being sick the last 2 days to find my schedule completely changed. Now I had to work at 6:30 tonight instead of 5. I have Thursday night off instead of Wednesday, and I have to work Saturday.

Any place of employment that changes a schedule like this without asking or telling the employee about the change isn't worth working at. It's unethical and, quite frankly, a piece of shit thing to do. So I'm going to talk to the the store manager tomorrow. Tim is his name. I may just call him Timmy and see how he handles it. I'll tell Timmy that I'll accept the Wednesday/Thursday change, but there's no way in hell I'm working Saturday. It's not that I've made any plans, but it's the principle of the matter. Timmy can take me off the schedule for Saturday or Timmy can become enraged when I tell him to kiss my ass.

People say that one isn't supposed to burn bridges when leaving a job, but at the same time, employers aren't supposed to change employee's shedules at a whim and expect them to alter the rest of their lives to fit. If I burn this bridge, so what? Libraries aren't going to need a reference from ToysRUs. I've got almost ten years worth of perfect employment history that speaks for itself.

It feels so damn good to not have to give a shit.

1 comment:

Bob said...

Yeah, the Devil's Bookstore used to change my schedule whenever the HR manager had a wet fart too, it sucks. I used to not show up if they added me a day, and then tell them I didn't get the change. Or, since most places have a two week policy for employees, as in, you have to ask for time off two weeks in advance, I told them on many occasions I required the same thing. It cost me $0.05 an hour on my last review.