Tuesday, December 26, 2006

X-Mas

Christmas is finally over. I have to say, this has perhaps been the best Christmas I’ve had in a while, and this is why:

First, I found humor at the one church service I’ve gone to all year. In one of the gifts from my mother, there was a Canadian dime. How that made it into the package, no one knows. For some reason, I found it real god damn funny when I threw that into the collection plate during the service. It’s the first time I’ve donated money to a church, but they can’t even use it. I’m just picturing the pastor sorting the money, coming across the Canadian dime, and cursing like a sailor.

Secondly, we’ve been in our apartment for a year now. Last year, at this time, we didn’t have everything unpacked and it felt less like a home. This year, we had the tree set-up and it was our first Christmas together in our own place.

Thirdly, There were many gifts under the tree. Last year, we didn’t have a lot of money, so I wasn’t able to get Samantha very much. It felt great to be able to give so much. We were also able to give our family and friends a little more than we had in the past. Sure, it’s good to receive, but this year, I enjoyed the giving part a lot more. And to those friends reading this who normally receive gifts from me, or to those who just got married, your gifts are coming. I’m just a slow bastard when it comes to getting to the post office, and you’ll just have to live with it.

Fourthly, I received great gifts. Yes, I know I just said the giving was better, and it was, but it’s still nice to get a few good things. Here is what I personally received: $75 cash, $20 Barnes and Noble gift card, a sweater, a Far Side desk calendar, A DeWalt cordless drill, a pair of Grinch boxer shorts, Media Manager software for PSP, Killzone Liberation game for PSP, and a 1:18 scale WWII-era German anti-tank cannon for my G.I. Joe collection. There were a few gifts for both Samantha and I which were: A rice steamer, a full set of bath towels, a set of really nice coasters, a candle, a $25 Target Gift card, a Christmas ornament, and a book full of tasty cocktail recipes.

Fifthly, I ate at the Texas Roadhouse. That’s the place to go if you want a damn good steak. I was looking forward to the 16 ounce prime rib, and it did not disappoint. Normally, I wouldn’t eat that much meat in one sitting, but I don’t get to go there often, so I cram as much beef down as I can while I’m there.

Lastly, my mom and I went shopping at a few places this morning. The day after Christmas is usually accompanied by maddening crowds of assholes all trying to push themselves closer to the rack of 50% off wrapping paper and assorted trinkets. At both Target and Wal-Mart, the aisles were near empty. I’m not sure if it was the snow still on the ground, but something kept people from going crazy, and I was thankful for that.

Of course, there were a few negative occurrences this last week. There was the blizzard. There was the walk 2 miles through the snow to get a goddamn turkey. There was me losing my keys somewhere in that 2 miles. Shit happens though, and I can forget all that because the rest of the time was grand.

I’m quite sure that all of this Christmas cheer will wash off of me in a day or two, and then I’ll be back to the selfish, angry, insensitive individual most of you know me as. Until then, I hope that all of you had a great Christmas.

Happy New Year…….Bitches.

No comments: