Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Another damn fine film

Here's another film you should watch again. Yes, I said I'd stop doing it...but I LIED!!!! Mwuhahahahahahaha!

The Sting

I picked up the special edition on sale at Barnes & Noble a few weeks back. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid, and even then, I remembered nothing about it. Well, almost nothing. It's odd what you remember, because up until I re-watched it tonight, whenever I heard this film mentioned, the image of a long outside staircase popped into my head. Sure enough, that staircase was in the film. It's weird that I remembered that and nothing else. The Sting stars Robert Redford and Paul Newman, who are spectacular, Newman in particular. The basic plot is Newman and Redford set out to pull an elaborate con after a friend of theirs is killed. I've never seen Ocean's 13, but from what I hear about the plot, it seems like The Sting may have been an inspiration. Hell, it's hard for a classic film like this not to influence future films.

This may be one of those films that you've never seen, due to it's age. It was released in 1973. It actually won best picture that year too, but that really isn't the reason to watch it. many undeserving films have won best picture. The reason to watch it is because it's just a damn enjoyable film. Hollywood is increasing the frequency in which they re-make films, which is a damn shame. Some idiot will undoubtedly pitch the idea of The Sting re-make to a studio, just because that's the way things work nowadays. Why write a new movie when you've got a library of old films to re-make and rape? Seriously, if they re-make this, I'll fuckin' cry.

If you have seen it already, then you know you should watch it again. I shouldn't have to tell you. But then again, some of you are like children, and you need me to guide you along.

Watch it.

Do it.

Do it now.

What are you waiting for?

Do it.

If you don't watch it, you're getting a time-out, I swear to God.

No comments: