Monday, November 06, 2006

Today is certainly NOT a good day.

My pal Andy said it was a good day on his blog because the Democratic party essentially made Tuesday's election its bitch.

At least in Colorado, the election was a farce due to Referendum I. You see, the purpose of Referendum I was to create a category called "Domestic Partnerships" so that gays and lesbian could share the same legal rights as married couples. I'm talking about basic legal rights that couples are allowed to share if they're heterosexual. It isn't marriage, it's just basic legal rights for crying out loud.

I'm pissed because it shouldn't have even been an issue. We live in a country where everyone is SUPPOSED to be equal. If a black man or a woman doesn't a job, then he or she can sue because he or she wasn't treated "equally." Everyone is so goddamed happy to live in a country where everyone is equal and where everyone shares the same opportunities.

So why the fuck did Referendum I fail? Why the fuck did these whites, and blacks, and men, and woman, and rich, and poor, ALL of whom demand equal rights for themselves, vote against a Referendum to give others the rights they have?

WHY CAN'T PEOPLE JUST LET OTHER PEOPLE BE FUCKING EQUAL? CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME ONE LOGICAL REASON WHY GIVING OTHERS BASIC LEGAL RIGHTS HAS ANY FUCKING EFFECT ON YOUR OWN PATHETIC LIVES?

It baffles me so much that I can't even begin to comprehend why this is even an issue, let alone why it wouldn't pass. And it angers me. Ignorance and intolerance on this level is not only upsetting, but it's unforgiveable.

Let's face it: Gays are the new Blacks. Nowadays, people look back at the Civil Rights movement and say, "How could those people have thought that Blacks were any different? Of course they deserve the same rights." Replace the word "Blacks" with "Gays" and you'll have a statement that people will be saying 40 years from now. In 2050, people will look at this era with shame because we still didn't have the sense to learn from our past and continued to treat certain groups of people like 2nd class citizens. And that pisses me off too.

Gays and lesbians can't get married. This seems odd to me since convicted murderers serving multiple life sentences can get married while in jail. So why can't gay people marry? No matter if you agree with gays and their lifestyle or not, you have to at least admit that it doesn't seem very fair when put like that now does it?

Colorado is a fairly liberal state and if we can't get laws like that passed here, what hope does this country have for equal rights anytime soon?

And no, I didn't vote, but Referendum I failed by such an amount that even if I had waited in line for 2 hours in the 30 minutes I had between jobs, the result would have been the same. And no matter if 20,000 more people voted, it honestly wouldn't have mattered because, statistically speaking, the yes/no percentage would have been the same within those 20,000 people. I just lhave to live with the fact that the majority of the population doesn't give a fucking shit about anyone other than themselves.

I'm so unbelieveably angry right now that I can't even make joke out of any of this. This election was a joke.

Fuck You Colorado. Fuck all of you.

No comments: