Friday, December 14, 2007

Did I really miss out?

Last night, I had a chance to ge see a free advance screening of the new film Sweeny Todd. I chose not to go, partially because I took the day off sick and didn't feel up to it, but also because I don't give a shit.

Wow, a Tim Burton film starring Johnny Depp? That's something that the filmgoing public has yet to see! Give me a fucking break. Tim Burton must look at every role that needs to be cast in his films and say, "Johnny Depp would be great in all of these roles. He doesn't really fit this part, but I'll make sure it's rewritten so that he does fit!"

Yes, this film has really good reviews, but I'm just getting tired of watching Tim Burton films that feel like Tim Burton films. Seriously dude, try something new. Maybe go a different direction with your next film and show everyone that you're not just some hack who keeps doing the same goddamn thing over and over because you don't know how to make any other type of film.

So no, I don't regret my decision last night. I don't think I missed the next big revolution in filmmaking.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Hear, hear. Tim Burton appeals to 16 year-old girls who shop at Hot Topic. I used to really enjoy his work, but anymore I just can't feel interested. Still like Edward Scissorhands, though, that is a damn fine piece of work. But there's also Planet of the Apes and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to consider...