Saturday, March 03, 2007

What did you say? I can't hear you!

Regular disabled people are just fine, but there are a few that just insist on being self-righteous shitheads and it's starting to piss me off.

Take a classmate of mine who can't hear very well. No John, I'm not talking about you. This woman, who'll I'll call Tina because that's her name, is quite hard of hearing, and she's the type who makes sure everyone knows it, and she makes sure to let us all know what we have to do to accomodate her.

I'm in a small group with her and we met after class the other night. One would think that if you've lived over 30 years with this disability, like Tina has, you would try to make things easier on yourself. Our small group all sat on chairs, while Tina decided to sit on the floor. She decided to look at her computer and take notes all the while we were meeting.

Then, she gets pissed off because we aren't talking "at" her. The fact is, if she isn't looking at us when we talk, she can't hear us well. She chose to sit on the floor, below eye level, and stare at her computer. She gets pissed at us because we aren't "accomodating" her? What are we supposed to do, tap her on the goddamn shoulder before we start each and every sentence to make sure she's looking at us? It's true that people without disabilites often don't make the necessary accomodations for disabled people, but when the disabled person places all the blame for their misunderstanding on me, it really annoys the hell out of me.

Yes, you're disabled. Yes, God took a big shit on your life. I get it.

Like I said, I don't hate people who are different than me. My friend John is both hard of hearing and terribly short. A double whammy if you ask me. Do I hear him bitching? Do I hear him telling everyone about it? Hell no. My pal Shane is a dibetic who needs to take insulin shots at least twice a day. Yes, it's an inconvenience, but he doesn't bring it up to every chap he meets. I went to high school with a gal confined to a wheelchair. Did I hate her? No. Did she bitch and moan about her condition? Actually, she did quite a lot, but she never made anyone else feel guilty about not performing to her expectations.

So there you have it. A rant about an asshole disabled person. I guess you can add this to my un-pc rant on the homeless. And yes, I know that "disabled" isn't the right tern nowadays, but it sounds much better than: Unabled, Nonabled, Deficientlyabled, and Flawedabled.

On to other things. I saw the new Marvel Studios animated film The Invincible Iron Man. I've owned it for a few weeks but hadn't gotten around to watching it until last night. I wasn't expecting to be wowed since Ultimate Avengers and Ultimate Avengers 2 were a tad dissapojting. Iron Man turned out to be pretty good. In fact, I would go so far as to say it turned out really good. The dialogue was much improved over the Avengers films. The animation was great as well. I was worried that the animation of Iron Man in action would look, well, clunky and unnatural. It looked exactly how I would expect a man in a giant metal suit to look. Cartoon Network played it tonight and didn't bother promoting it, so no one really knew it was on, myself included. It doesn't look like they're playing it again anytime soon, so rent it, or buy it, and enjoy it as I did.

Well, that's it for now I guess.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha i totally agree. there are plenty of not-annoying disabled people that i love a ton, but some people... oh dear. my favorite term for disabled people nowadays is "differently abled".